Monday, June 22, 2009

And on the Seventh Day, We Rest

Sunday, June 21, 7 days into our trip - Father's Day. What a heavy day this was for us. A week of reflection on our experiences thus far & a day that by title pains me for the first time in my life. I understand that my family back home is honoring the memory of my father in church with the alter flowers. Meanwhile, I sit in a third world country's open air chapel honoring our heavenly Father. Again, my heart breaks. We are so blessed. On the sabbath, the community does rest. Of course, the hospital continues on, but we don't wake to the sounds of the slaughtering of animals, nor do we hear rudimentary machines off in the distance. Instead, we awoke to the sounds of voices from the childrens' boarding school behind us. They were singing songs of praise at 7:30 in the morning. I felt like it was "Whoville!" Often, folks gather for the sharing of breakfast before Sunday worship. We were invited to eat at Barbara's house, along with the Brauns, (a family from Arizona whom we've come to enjoy here - They were the family in the second van following us in from Nairobi. Jereld was their driver, and Keith Braun is an ortho. doc. here for another week). Barbara is a full term missionary here at Tenwek and has been here for 28 years! Anyway, she prepared a lovely breakfast and while eating asked each of us to tell something that they've learned from our fathers. Everyone enjoyed the conversation, and after Scottie told of his father's common sense and ability to work with his hands, he went on to tell of my dad's sense of humor. It was still too fresh for me, but the way Barbara engaged everyone on Father's Day was very special. After breakfast, we all went to church and the most reassuring part was that it was much like our Second Mile Service! There was a praise band with acoustic guitars, beautiful voices and a big screen for the lyrics. Two of the songs we sang were songs we had learned at Pilgrimage! At one point, I closed my eyes and felt like I was at HPC in our fellowship Hall. Wallace, Glenn and Hugh even sang along to "As the Deer.." and "Shout to the Lord." The spirit of the Lord was certainly in that place. "Thou will keep him in perfect place whose mind is set on Thee."

As for how we are getting along, my sore throat developed into the horrible head cold that Scottie had when we arrived, but he and Glenn are both better now. Today, Monday, I am feeling like I am on the mend, and so far, Wallace and Hugh have been fine. Scottie's Gluten Free diet is a challenge, and he may never want to eat rice again once we return, but the food is good. Glenn accidently closed her bedroom window screen on her camelion's tail last night, but she said she won't let it go until she finds another one. Of Mice or Men?! Anyway, all is well in Bomet, Kenya, for the Cameron Crew. We trust everyone back home is doing well and that you're staying cool. Who knew we'd have to come to Africa to beat NC's summer heat!?
All Our Love, As Always, Ave, Scottie & co.

2 comments:

  1. OK, so, it will be 104 tomorrow!!! We miss you guys so much! Haley has not stopped talking about Wallace and when she will be back and able to spend the night. We are keeping you guys in our prayers and mention you each time we sit down to have a meal together. Avery, I really thought about you yesterday as this was our first Father's Day without our Dads. I know how you felt and I am there with you! At least we had the blessings of having had our dads around and knowing how much they loved us. They were able to celebrate with our Heavenly Father this year and we were blessed with amazing men who are fathers to our children. Know we love you all so much and pray for you constantly! Haley and Courtney send their love as do Mark and I. Can't wait to see you! Love, Angela Owens and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Camerons!
    I just finished reading all of your blog so far. I laughed and cried. What an incredible adventure! We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers. I know you will do great things!

    We arrived back in the States last week. We miss our "former life" but it was great seeing all of our family and friends. We can't wait to see you guys in couple of weeks. Love, Alyson (Lew and Caroline, too)

    ReplyDelete