Monday, June 21, 2010

Ilosunot Jeiso (Praise God, in Kipisigis)

It is currently Monday, June 21 at 11:45 in the morning here. Back home, it's about 4:45 am and everyone is still sleeping. With friends and family around the globe covering us in prayer, (literally around the clock), our prayers are truly being heard. Scottie went in for surgery early this morning and is now just out of the OR and coming out of anesthesia in observation. It took nearly two hours and it was no outpatient abdominal surgery. I was in the OR with them nearly the whole time, (except when it got too hot and I got a little weak on my stomach - I stepped out to get crackers and a Sprite). It was absolutely amazing. The skilled hands and compassionate bedside manner of Russ White is something for which we will always be eternally grateful. The assistance he had was beyond professional. They prayed over Scottie and boosted my spirits as well. About the actual surgery... Wow.

After 17 years of "being married to medicine," for the first time ever, I actually wished I had gone to medical school, as well. Fascinating, is all I can say. When they used the term "Mega Colon," they were not exaggerating. Apparently, a "normal" collapsed colon is about 3 cm, and would cause room for concern around 10 cm. It would more than likely burst around 15 cm. Scottie's "normal" was about 15 cm and when dilated, ~25 cm. It looked like a huge water balloon in there, and it would flip over on itself, leaving years of scar tissue. Once it was resected, it sincerely reminded me of a very large placenta. It had a life of it's own! The final stitching seemed like a piece of cake, comparatively. I took lots of pictures, but thought they may repulse many blog viewer friends, so I used restraint. The Sigmoid Vulvulous was so big it was nearly falling out of the pan it was in, but it was passed around none-the-less to different doctors to view, each amazed at it's appearance. After witnessing the surgery today, there is no doubt in my mind at all that God led us here for this. Dr. White was who Scottie was meant to see.

I took the pictures back to the apartment mid-surgery (while getting crackers) and showed them to Marcie and the kids. Wallace was a little disgusted, but Hugh and Glenn found them to be quite intriguing. I suppose Marcie has just learned to expect the unexpected with this Cameron Crew by now. Again, she has been a true blessing to us during this time, and I thank God for sending her with us. Scottie should be waking up in and hour or so, and he will need a few days of observation, I think. Of course, as I hear any changes, I will certainly keep updating the blog.

The hospital here has a "courtyard" of sorts, where patients and families gather to get sunlight, rest or wait. I was sitting there by myself, just after they took Scottie back to begin the prep for the surgery. I quietly retreated to prayer and didn't think anyone would notice me. However, when I looked up a few minutes later, there was a group of strangers praying beside me. Shortly thereafter, multiple physicians and folks we have met here stopped to tell me they were praying for Scottie. I realize in the US this whole "HIPPA violation" thing has two sides, but over here, in this supportive community, people are actually praying for the patient, not talking about it. How reassuring it is to have people you don't even know stop and tell you you're in their prayers and really mean it!

Please continue praying for a healthy, speedy recovery. And who knows, maybe he will even be able to eat Krispy Kremes again someday soon!? We miss and love you but know you are here in spirit. God's Peace, Ave

"But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings." Mal 4:2

4 comments:

  1. Avery - thanks for keeping us posted. We will keep you ALL in our prayers. We are so thankful that God has put you all in the right place. Will continue to pray that Scott recovers quickly.

    Steve, Pam, Bailey, and Chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avery,

    I prayed for Scott as I went to bed last night, and I am so glad to see that he came through the surgery well. I will check back here to see how things are going. Wanda, one of the nurses, just reminded me to let you know that everyone here in the NICU is praying for him too.

    Take care, and tell Marcie I miss her and that I have bee thinking of her too.

    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us updated... We're visiting with family in PA for a few days so have been checking blackberries hourly! We are concerned but are praying continuously- and praising God to hear this great news, as well as all the glimmers and glimpses of God all along the way.
    Hugs to Scottie and all of you... Will talk to you upon your return!!! Love and hugs, God Bless,
    the Stapletons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear that all went well. Nell called from Ernie's office. He just heard last night as he was returning from vacation and wanted her to find out how to get in touch with you. I told her the blogspot may be the best way. Anyhow, know that we will continue with the prayers and hallelujahs! Love to you all, Lauren and Shields

    ReplyDelete