Thursday, July 2, 2009

An Eye-Opening Experience

I wasn't going to post another blog until we returned from our safari this weekend, but today I had an "Ah Ha" moment worth sharing. I should preface it by again stating that the Pediatric Ward here is quite sad and overcrowded. Granted, all Pediatric Wards are sad, but knowing the technologies we have in the western world and comparing it to the lack of resources here makes the unit that much sadder, (at least to those of us who have seen the discrepencies). There is one ventalator, and Scottie has been training the residents here how to use it. It should also be noted that while he in the only Neonatologist here (and to our knowledge, ever), he not only covers the 40 babies (with the help of 2 nurses), but covers the Peds. Ward as well. Family Practice doctors float through, but his area is definitely more broad than at home, and with less help. That being said, we haven't seen much of him these last few days.

Today we were moving along as usual, until after lunch when the new family that arrived 2 days ago from Oregon, (Opthamologist and wife with 7 kids), asked if we'd like to help with a puppet show. It sounded like fun, so we headed off to the Opthamology Unit. It was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Five of their 7 children, (15, 13, 11, 9 & 7), along with Wallace, Glenn and Hugh put on a "show" for the inpatients. Though most of the inpatients had patches on one or both of their eyes, it provided a small painfree window of laughter for the them. The kids putting on the show, simply taped a blanket up between the door frame, got behind it with silly puppets. They then turned on some kind of Kids' Christian Rock on their ipod and had the puppets dance and sing for the audience. How simple, yet so far from my radar. It was such a hit, that the "show" then travelled to the Peds. Ward. The smiles lit up the room, and even though the children and their parents didn't speak English, the laughter heard was understood by everyone there. Mid way through the show, Hugh turn to me and said, "Mom, look! Dad's out there, too!" and back to work he and his puppet went. We then travelled to one more inpatient area, where we remained for nearly an hour. Afterwards, a lady who understood both Kipsigi and English translated while words of welcome and the importance of Christ in our lives were exchanged. It was a moment in time that I wish I could have frozen. True happiness, inspite of pain.

I told the kids (whom I refer to as the "Von Trapps"), what a great idea it was to share these puppets with the children here. They said they borrowed them from their church back home. Apparently, the oldest daughter (15) is in charge of "The Puppet Ministry" at her church. They go to nursing homes and hospitals in their area and do this sort of thing rather frequently. There is a sign here in the "guesthouse" (where I come to get on the computer) that stays up all the time. It says, "The power of Christ within you is greater than the power of troubles around you." Today, I witnessed this through the eyes of my children and those inpatient children here at Tenwek. Again, how blessed we truly are.

2 comments:

  1. Avery, what a moving story about how doing something so simple can mean so much to people. You and your blog are helping me be more aware of people in need who may be right next to me! As I've been praying for Christ to use you all where you are, I'm also praying that He use me where I am. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. It means so much. Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am a late follower to the blog, but started crying on the second post. What you describe is both the worst thing I have ever heard but amazingly the best at the same time. How lucky you are to have this gift as a family. I wish you much success and love and thankful that God has led you to this journey. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Happy 4th - miss you!

    ReplyDelete